November 21: Free Monthly Community Safety Forums in Partnership with LVMPD and Sponsored by NV Energy
Dick Bennett, a longtime volunteer with Las Vegas Metro, will discuss the “Metro Volunteer Program” Saturday, November 21, from 1-2 p.m. as part of The Mob Museum and LVMPD partnership program, Community Safety Forum.
The Metro Volunteer Program (MVP) is committed to providing the best police support services in Las Vegas. To meet this goal Metro has developed a volunteer work force that draws on the rich heritage and unique skills of our culturally diverse community. Volunteers are not utilized to replace sworn or other paid positions within the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, but rather to enhance the efficiency of the agency.
Volunteer opportunities with Metro include:
- Volunteer Chaplain Program: Local clergy work in conjunction with the LVMPD Police Employee Assistance Program, do ride-a-longs and respond to emergencies where spiritual support is requested.
- Advocates on Guard: Volunteers are trained to give presentations to area senior citizen groups on such topics as how to prevent identity theft.
- CERT Training: This program helps train people to be better prepared to respond to emergency situations in their communities.
- Bike Rodeo Teams: Enthusiastic bike teams take programs about bike safety to area schools and youth groups.
- VIVA Patrols: Volunteers serve as police ambassadors to Las Vegas’ 40-million-plus annual visitors.
- McGruff the Crime Dog: Volunteers accompany McGruff the Crime Dog to various events.
- Abandoned Car Monitors: Citizens track abandoned vehicles through updating databases.
- R.E.A.C.T.: These volunteers are on 24-hour call to help Metro when dealing with accidents where there have been fatalities.
- Handicap Parking Enforcement: Trained volunteers help write handicap parking citations.
Free Admission to The Mob Museum following the event to guests attending Community Safety Forums sponsored by NV Energy. Also thanks to NV Energy’s generous support, The Mob Museum will provide live streaming of the presentations on our website.
This program is part of a joint Mob Museum-Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department partnership, sponsored by NV Energy, presenting a series of Monthly Community Safety Forums Saturdays through 2015.
Future programming includes:
- December 19: Emergency Preparedness
NV Energy, Inc. provides a wide range of energy services to 1.3 million customers throughout Nevada and nearly 40 million tourists annually. NV Energy is a holding company whose principal subsidiaries, Nevada Power Company and Sierra Pacific Power Company, are doing business as NV Energy. The company is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada. Information about NV Energy is available on the company’s website, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages, which can be accessed via nvenergy.com.
*Parking is limited, if you require any special accommodations please notify the box office at 702-229-2734.