May 13: Elks Helldorado Presentation and Book Signing with Stan Paher, author of “Nevadans: The Spirit of the Silver State”
Discount of $4 off single general admission when wearing Elks Helldorado button on May 13
“A tale of luck, historical circumstances and crafty promotion”
Stan Paher, author of Nevadans: The Spirit of the Silver State, will share stories of Nevada’s history from the earliest explorers to the establishment of Las Vegas as a leader in the worlds of convention business, tourism, modern mining and aviation in this presentation and book signing held in partnership with Elks Helldorado.
Topics to be covered include:
- The brief encampment of the Mormons at what is now known as the Old Mormon fort.
- Westbound ’49ers who passed north of Las Vegas on their way to California gold fields.
- Stewart Ranch and its importance to the Las Vegas Valley.
- Las Vegas’ history as a railroad town.
- The political maneuverings that created of Clark County.
- Hoover Dam, Las Vegas Strip, atomic bomb testing and more.
Those who purchase the first 10 copies of the book, Nevadans: The Spirit of the Silver State, on May 13 will receive one free rodeo ticket.
Elks Helldorado is Las Vegas’s annual cowboy-themed outdoor charitable festival and tribute to the Wild West. The event began in 1934 and is produced by the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks Lodge #1468 with proceeds donated to children’s, veterans’ and special needs charities. Elks Helldorado is a multi-day festival packed with a variety of events including an art show, golf tournament, parade, rodeo, Whiskerino contest, live music, exhibits, vendors, food and more. The rodeo grounds are located at the Vegas Village across from The Luxor. The festival is the City of Las Vegas’s longest-running civic event.
Elks Helldorado buttons are available for purchase at the Las Vegas Elks Lodge and other Elks Helldorado events.