May 19: Wiseguy Speaker Series and book signing with Tom Wainwright, author of Narconomics: How to Run a Drug Cartel
Described by The Times of London as “an economics book for the Breaking Bad generation.”
What happens when a not-so-brave business journalist is sent to cover the most exotic and brutal industry on Earth? You get Tom Wainwright’s book Narconomics: How to Run a Drug Cartel. Wainwright, an editor at The Economist, will be at The Mob Museum to discuss how basic business and economic theories apply to the narcotics industry.
In what’s sure to be an informative and entertaining talk, Wainwright will explain:
- How cartels work.
- The theories that explain how they’ve become some of the most successful businesses in the world, and how governments can use those same principles to defeat them.
- How cocaine cartels borrowed ideas from Walmart on how to deal with suppliers.
- How some cartels copied McDonald’s franchising model to expand.
- How they’ve copied corporate human resources and applied it to their own businesses.
- How they’ve embraced online retailing.