June 21: Frank Costello: A New Look at a Legendary Mafia Boss
Frank Costello was the man who made the Mafia the powerful force it was. But who was he really? Author and Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Anthony M. DeStefano will be here to tell you all about the man the press called the “prime minister of the underworld” in this Wiseguy Speaker Series event.
Frank Costello was instrumental in the making of the Mafia, from early bootlegging and gambling to the nationwide racketeering empire it became. From Las Vegas to Queens to Havana, Cuba, Costello was an instigator and a boss, with beneficial connections to everybody. He even had private meetings with FBI director J. Edgar Hoover.
For his latest book, Top Hoodlum: Frank Costello, Prime Minister of the Mafia, DeStefano researched Costello in-depth using newly available FBI files, eyewitness accounts, and even family mementos to build a complete picture of Frank Costello, the legendary man behind the Mob.
A book signing with follow the presentation.
In this Wiseguy event DeStefano will share stunning revelations including:
- Costello’s secret interests in Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Manhattan nightclubs like the renowned Copacabana
- His partnership with Charles “Lucky” Luciano, and their brutal displacement of the Mafia’s old guard
- The assassination attempt by Genovese Family hitman Vincent “Chin” Gigante that Costello survived
- His power over politicians, his rapport with reporters, and his amazing ability to stay several steps ahead of the feds
- His rumored furloughs from prison for conjugal visits with his wife
Don’t miss this live discussion as Anthony DeStefano brings you a definitive portrait of Frank Costello, one of the most powerful, influential, and fascinating Mafia leaders in the history of American crime.
This event will be live-streamed and recorded.
Anthony "Tony" DeStefano
Anthony “Tony” DeStefano is an author, Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter, and attorney. He is an expert in organized crime as well as white-collar crime, immigration, and terrorism. He has covered the trials of subway gunman Bernhard Goetz, Mob bosses John Gotti and Joseph Massino, and Ponzi-scheme offender Bernard Madoff. Top Hoodlum: Frank Costello, Prime Minister of the Mafia is DeStefano’s latest book.