LAS VEGAS (June 2019) – The Underground, the Prohibition history exhibition at The Mob Museum, announces special promotions, programs and events for July.
- Date: Sundays through Thursdays
- Time: 5 to 7 p.m.
- Description: The Underground’s new happy hour specials include $2 off all cocktails, beer, wine and food.
Bootlegger Boogie: Prohibition-era Dance Instruction
- Date: July 1
- Time: 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Cost: Free
- Description: On the first Monday of every month, the speakeasy will tap into a different dance of the Prohibition-era by offering upbeat and detailed dance instruction. For this month’s featured sequence, dancers will step into the quick-paces of the 1930s’ iconic Charleston and learn how to keep up with the lively beats. Whether accompanied by a partner or not, guests should arrive ready to make friends.
- Date: Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
- Time: 7 to 11 p.m.
- Description: Due to popular demand, the Museum has extended the Jazz Nights weekly event to three nights a week. The night features local talent performing to rave reviews in The Underground’s 1920s-inspired ambiance. Use the secret password Cool Cats for free admission. Performing in July will be Dame Madelyn, who provides a deep and eclectic mix of jazz (July 4); Nik at Nite melds classic tunes with personal stories and anecdotes about his friendship with Frank Sinatra and his days in Las Vegas (July 5); Amanda King, who combines the best of the jazz and cabaret worlds by applying her creative interpretation of the words, the music and the swing (July 6, 27); The Old Fashions, which blends the best of the jazz and blues worlds with sounds from Sinatra to Armstrong (July 12, 13, 19); Kai Brant Jazz Duo, which performs jazz, blues and pop classics (July 11, 20, 26); and Naomi Mauro singing the greatest songs from the Roaring 20s to jazz, pop, R&B and Motown (July 18, 25).
80 Years of Being Oscar: Celebrating Oscar B. Goodman’s 80th Birthday
- Date: July 24
- Time: Starting at 5:30 p.m.
- Description: Cheers to Oscar! Celebrate Oscar Goodman’s 80th birthday with an evening of candid commentary from the man of the hour, hosted by Geoff Schumacher, senior director of content. The Museum will honor the former Las Vegas mayor, Mob defense attorney and visionary behind the establishment of The Mob Museum with fun facts and anecdotes. All attendees can play along with a customized game of bingo, enjoy drink specials, birthday cupcakes and prizes to cap off the festivities.
- Date: Mondays
- Time: 9 p.m. to midnight
- Description: Each Monday, The Underground speakeasy and distillery hosts Industry Night. Nevada service industry professionals will receive 20 percent off their tab and free Champagne. Must show valid employment ID to redeem this offer.
- Day/Time: Tours are offered Monday through Friday at noon, 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m. and weekends from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. every 45 minutes.
- Cost: $12
- Description: During these tours, which are available as an enhanced experience with the purchase of a deluxe or premier pass and include a sampling of a variety of distilled spirits, participants receive an in-depth explanation of the distillery equipment and distillation process and learn about Prohibition. In addition to learning about the historical origin of Prohibition and the drinking culture that existed before the 1920s, guests have the chance to take part in a spirit-tasting experience of house-distilled moonshine, vodka, as well as The Underground’s Jamaica ginger-infused moonshine. The Distillery Tours are designed to encourage visitors to develop an appreciation for the flavor of moonshine—especially since The Underground’s moonshine is as authentic as it can safely get. It is made in-house with 100 percent corn and bottled at 50 percent ABV. In addition, all visitors to the Museum may purchase souvenir bottles of Museum spirits in the speakeasy during these hours.
For more information, please call (702) 229-2734 or visit themobmuseum.org. Admission to the speakeasy is included with general Museum admission. The speakeasy is also free for patrons who would like to visit the speakeasy only and can enter by visiting the podium or the side door using the daily password found on Instagram stories @MobMuseum_Underground.
ABOUT THE UNDERGROUND
The Underground is an immersive Prohibition history experiential exhibition, featuring a distillery, speakeasy and private VIP room located in the basement of The Mob Museum and sponsored by Zappos. Its custom-made, copper-pot still, dubbed “Virginia Still” after mobster Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel’s notorious girlfriend Virginia Hill, has a capacity of 60 gallons and can serve up to 250 750-mL jars of moonshine per week. The Underground also brews and serves craft beer onsite. Artifacts from the 1920s and 1930s on display tell the intriguing story of the Prohibition era, which not only saw a proliferation of bootlegged booze and the meteoric growth of organized crime outfits, but also had a profound, lasting impact on society and culture. Complimentary entrance to The Underground is granted at the secret side entrance to visitors who know the correct password, which is published daily on Instagram Stories @MobMuseum_Underground.
ABOUT THE MOB MUSEUM
The Mob Museum, the National Museum of Organized Crime and Law Enforcement, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, provides a world-class, interactive journey through true stories—from the birth of the Mob to today’s headlines. The Mob Museum offers a provocative, contemporary look at these topics through hundreds of artifacts and immersive storylines. Whether you like it or not, this is American history. It debuted a major renovation in 2018, including a Crime Lab, Use of Force Training Experience, and Organized Crime Today exhibit as well as The Underground, a basement-level Prohibition history exhibition featuring a speakeasy and distillery, and sponsored by Zappos. The Mob Museum has been awarded accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums, the highest national recognition afforded U.S. museums. Since opening in 2012, The Mob Museum has accumulated numerous accolades, including being named one of TripAdvisor’s “Top 25 U.S. Museums,” one of Las Vegas Weekly’s “Twenty Greatest Attractions in Las Vegas History,” one of Hotel.com’s Top 7 “Travel Brag Landmarks,” USA Today’s “Best Museum in Nevada” and one of its “12 Can’t Miss U.S. Museum Exhibits,” “A Must for Travelers” by The New York Times and one of “20 Places Every American Should See” by Fox News and Budget Travel magazine. The Museum is a two-time winner of the Mayor’s Urban Design Award for Historic Preservation and Adaptive Reuse. Its house-distilled moonshine received top honors, the Double Gold Award, from The Fifty Best. General admission is $26.95 for adults ages 18 and over with special pricing for online purchase, children, seniors, military, law enforcement, Nevada residents, and teachers. The Museum is open daily; visit the website for up-to-date operating hours. For more information, call (702) 229-2734 or visit themobmuseum.org. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/themobmuseum or Twitter @themobmuseum.
Desiree Webb / Erika Pope
The Vox Agency
(702) 569-0616, (702) 249-2977
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:
# # #